Banner Advertiser

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

[ALOCHONA] Re: Amar Desh editor arrested after closure



Dear Alochok Mohammed Haque

I have fallen on my own sword. I mistook you for someone else.I did not realise your were being satirical and took your words literally - as the very same words are meant literally by many others.  

No need to talk politics in this message.

I cannot apologise for my words which I can comfortably defend. But I cannot at all defend saying them to you. It was a gross mistake.I apologise to you and ask for your forgiveness knowing that you know that we have much to be angry and miserable about.

I am sorry. Please forgive me. 

May this bring many lessons to me - including the lesson, increasingly (praise Allah) that others are satirical too. After all its what I dream of! More strong voices, in direct opposition to the status quo of Bangladeshi politcis - be it abusive, satirical or intellectual.

And may this also be another example to you that your graciousness and thoughtfulness can bring out the better parts of people - and animals like me.

Don't comment on your writing like that - your writing is very, very good. In fact you should write a lot more! We each havee our role to play and our writing styles should fit our roles.

Again, I apologise to you - and you alone.

Now I'm off to thump one Dr Manik - one of my brothers in my fakiror zaath.

Thank you for your understanding.

Ezajur Rahman

Fakir, Kuwait 

  


--- In alochona@yahoogroups.com, "Mohd. Haque" <haquetm83@...> wrote:
>
> Dear Ezajur,
>  
> I only hoped that you would understood my satire. Yet, I did not expect you to react with such a fury and indecency. I know you argue well and I struggle with my words. You have now burdened me with some heavy words which I found inconsistent with your line of arguments. However, while you have readied yourself  ‘to fight’ I have no intention to take it up, it is not in my culture. Did I upset you? Don’t worry I will still say few words.
>  
> In your all posts,  what you have argued, fairly I have shared your points of view except your standing on CTG’s role, be it so. I strongly despised DS’s, PA’s probability theories than and now their silence.
> Though I was, still I’m, surprised what made you to use those words â€" ‘fakiro(e)r zaat’.
>
>  
> Allow me to take you through the bush I am from -
>  
> I consider myself from middle class rural folks and struggled to achieve my best outside my country in life, so are my siblings. If I give you their name you will know them. Throughout I have maintained a strong bond with my poor country and my village and its inhabitants, whom I meet every year. I take  values from my faith, imaan and family traditions.  I feed my Hindu neighbours, perhaps that is the only square meal they eat each year, worship their deities wearing new clothes given by me. Even my wife and children will distribute mounds of zilapi to those poor Hindu and Saontals, thinking only that they never could save for some sweet meat and likewise offer them different things.
>  
> My two freedom fighter brothers never queued for a favour either from any government or society. Among a big circle of friends, many envy me(usual bangali virtues/vices) in this town, but they never think of fighting or arguing with me as they know very well that I will never indulge in any confrontation. What they think of me often is a trivial issue for me.
>      
> To make it farther clear - Last year in a gathering back home, many raised their concern that I am toeing a religious line and started usual bla, bla, “neither you nor anything else can stop me what so ever, as long as I consider this is good for my people, since I do it only to serve Allah, I will ask for full reward only from him, ‘I do not give a dam what you may think” that was my reply to them.
>  
> With difficulties in my literary strength what I try to discern in this blog or elsewhere it is the same objective. As my intention is clear so is my unwavering love for my people, no emotion or prejudice and no lineage to any one except whom I think contributing to the welfare of my most oppressed countrymen.  
>  
> Though I do not think I owe you any explanation or clarification on Hasina, Khaleda or your admired Moinuddin or Fakhruddin so you need to find a way out of your own malaise and frustration.   
> Without using ‘perhaps’ or ‘probability’ paradigm of DS or PA, MR, Nurul Kabir and Farhad Mazhar were the only strongest and effective critics of CTG, so who is trying to make MR a hero or zero I can not fathom from your line of arguments.  
>  
> I found MR  as one of the best articulated official. I personally met on several occasions many different level secretaries, none could speak with such a clear, flawless and unambiguous manner. Also from day one I have noticed DS and PA’s apathy or even hostility towards him. Same, if you want can see among all, who even has a distant lineage to mohajote. All of them become very happy indeed on MR’s arrest, does not matter what they are signing or saying, in this country people say anything.
>   
> Brevity of Ayub khan to arrest Tofazzal Hussain, shutting down of Haq Katha of Mawlana Bhasani by Banglar Bandhu, who also was brave enough to shut down and close all but four dailies. Ershad was brave enough to sent Shafiq Rehman in exile after closing his weekly. Knowing the consequences well yet to exercise the same is a brevity, indeed. Hasina will go as far as torturing MR in repeated remands and those editors who signed biggopti to release MR will continue in their deceitful historical behavior to toss the real truth and confuse your ‘fokirer zaat’ as far and as much as they can.
>  
> What is more sickening and appalling, none of these so called ‘freedom speech writers’ has a popular column, exception is MR. Very recently I started reading op-ed from Turkish newspapers as I discovered them in Istanbul, mainly because of their nationalistic trait and professional articulation on world and domestic issues.
>  
> Who is scared of whom no need to indulge in that kind of debate but Asif Nazrul, what he wants to put ‘in record’ (on Monday’s bangla vision) that MR will be tortured again and again in repeated remands by our, secular, democratic, shadhinotar pokhyer sorkar bahadhur.
>  
> I do not want to pick all your arguments, some are indecent and inconsistent as one would relate them.
>  
> As I said, blogging is not my past time, and I never shake hands with people because they are big and powerful and admire their arm power. I met CTG in two occassions and once I had a sealed envelop full of concerns and another time to tell them point blank another serious issue faced by the NRBs.
> Everything, in my conscious, is what helps my fellow countrymen, how small it turn out to be, it is never was a matter to me and never will be. Be in peace.
>  
> May Allah subhanawataala guide us all.
>  
> Haque
>
>
> --- On Mon, 7/6/10, ezajur Ezajur@... wrote:
>
>
> From: ezajur Ezajur@...
> Subject: [ALOCHONA] Re: Amar Desh editor arrested after closure
> To: alochona@yahoogroups.com
> Date: Monday, 7 June, 2010, 4:11 PM
>
>
>  
>
>
>
> Your opinion is the opinion of the cowardly who manipulate the power of government to deal with what you cannot deal with in public debate.
>
> Your opinion is the opinion of the enslaved mind who could not disagree with actions of his master - no matter what the master said or did.
>
> Your opinion is the opinion of the victim who is forever injured by the curse of the personality cult.
>
> Your opinion is the opinion of the feeble who are unable to break free of blind loyalty and find the truth for themselves.
>
> Your opinion is the opinion of the lazy who cannot stop suckling at the breast of his party leader irrespective of anything and everything.
>
> So what if your white colleague says the Daily Star alleges corruption before he places his tender? Based on probabilities and statistics within one of earth's most corrupt nations the DS was probably right to make its allegations whatever they were.
>
> Though now of course you must be very happy that the DS almost makes NO allegations at all under an AL government! Because now we climbed a few places from the bottom of the world corruption table!
>
> Hypocrite!
>
> You think AL is brave enough to arrest Mahmudur Rahman? On what charges? You don't have the guts to list them - just hide behind something about the legality of the publisher?! Snivelling snakes.
>
> Do you know which newspaper editor did not sign the letter protesting his arrest? Or do you think that all papers that protest the arrest should be banned too?
>
> You are trying to take down Mahmudur Rahman because you are scared of him.
>
> Bloody fakiror zaath. Can't arrest any in the CTG or any murderers singing nouka, Nouka - but acting really big with Amader Desh.
>
> Murgis have bigger brains than people who plan AL and BNP strategies.
>
> You turned MR into a hero! Well. Okay then... Please reply. I'm ready to fight.
>
> Ezajur Rahman
> Kuwait
>
> --- In alochona@yahoogroups.com, "Mohd. Haque" haquetm83@ wrote:
> >
> > In my opinion AL did the right thing by closing down the Amar Desh and shutting up Mahmudur Rahman. He was going too far to established his freedom of speach.
> >  
> > Few years back, an official (a non bangladeshi friend of mine) from a Development Financing Institution commenting that before we even invite for the bidding for a project, Daily Star starts printing lot of allegation of corruptions, so to speak.
> >  
> > We have noticed every possible human group were formed to decry corruptions done by BNP until they unseat them.
> >  
> > AL is brave enough, not to let them into the same trap. Well done!
> >
> > --- On Wed, 2/6/10, Isha Khan bdmailer@ wrote:
> >
> >
> > From: Isha Khan bdmailer@
> > Subject: [ALOCHONA] Amar Desh editor arrested after closure
> > To:
> > Date: Wednesday, 2 June, 2010, 2:47 AM
> >
> >
> >  
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > Amar Desh editor arrested after closure
> >  
> > Dhaka, June 1 (bdnews24.com)â€" Police early on Wednesday morning stormed the Amar Desh newspaper office and arrested acting editor Mahmudur Rahman on fraud charges, hours after the government closed the BNP-leaning daily.
> >
> > The newspaper's deputy editor Syed Abdal Ahmed told bdnews24.com that Mahmudur was taken away minutes before 4am after police had talked with his lawyer at his Karwan Bazaar office. The arrest capped a 17-hour drama played out after the paper's publisher Hashmat Ali Hashu, who himself was briefly 'detained', sued Mahmudur on Tuesday night.
> >
> > Police had been trying to arrest the acting editor, a BNP stalwart, but were held out by staff since shortly before midnight. The staff barricaded the main entrance to the office for several hours and shut the lift for the 10th floor office. They staged protests and vowed that their chief would have to be arrested 'over their dead bodies' as police reinforcements were brought in. Police then sought their cooperation but were refused before forcing their into the office at 3:30am to end the standoff. Ahmed, also the chief correspondent, had earlier told bdnews24.com that police shut down the paper's press at Love Road in Tejgaon at 11:30pm.
> >
> > Leaders of opposition BNP and its associate organisations gathered at the scene after bdnews24.com broke the news. BNP vice chairman Abdullah Al Noman, standing committee member Nazrul Islam Khan, BNP chairperson's press secretary Maruf Kamal Khan, Shimul Biswas, Jatiyatabadi Chhatra Dal president Sultan Salahuddin Tuku were also there.
> >
> > The events unfolding since morning--when Hashmat's family said he had been whisked away by intelligence men to an undisclosed place--took a new twist when the Dhaka's deputy commissioner Muhibul Haque cancelled the paper's declaration. The commissioner signed an order to this effect at 10pm, an official of his office said, preferring anonymity. But Mahmudur had told reporters at his office that police shut the press without showing the papers of the order cancelling the declaration.
> >
> > It was not clear on what grounds the broadsheet, which hit the stands during BNP-led government's term in Sept, 2004, was closed. The government last month knocked private TV station Channel 1 off the air citing irregularities.
> >
> > Journalist Abdal told bdnews24.com around 11:35pm, " The press started printing Wednesday's paper an hour before but police did not allow distribution to news agent's. "They said printing will stop." Tejgaon Industrial Area police chief Omar Faruk earlier told bdnews24.com that a complaint had been lodged against Mahmudur, who earlier in the day alleged that the government was planning to shut down the newspaper. Faruk said the case alleged financial losses.
> >
> > The former energy adviser to ex-prime minister Khaleda Zia rushed a news conference at the pro-BNP daily's office and said he had talked with Hashmat after he had returned from his detention at National Security Intelligence office, who had told him that he was 'frightened'. Mahmudur said the NSI men took Hasmat and forced him to sign two papers. "He was made to sit at their office until 2pm while the investigators pressed him to sign two papers." "One of the papers was addressed to Dhaka's deputy commissioner and the other to Tejgaon police chief. The papers state that Hashmat Ali is not the publisher of Amar Desh. Legal steps can be taken as his name is being printed as the publisher."
> >
> > "He was forced to sit until he signed the papers. Later Hashmat Ali signed the papers and was released after a five-hour detention," said Mahmudur. A former executive chairman of the Board of Investment, Mahmudur said the press meet was organised to protest the current government's 'fascist' behaviour and conspiracy against the news media.
> >
> > Hashmat's family had earlier told bdnews24.com that he had been detained for six hours after some intelligence officials whisked him away around 9am. He returned to his Shahjahanpur residence around 3pm but went out, they said.
> >
> > Mahmudur had claimed around 1pm that National Security Intelligence took Hashmat and were forcibly trying to file a case against him.
> > NSI director Shafiqullah told bdnews24.com earlier that they had not detained anybody by that name. "He is probably sitting at home."
> > "This is reminiscent of June 16, 1975 when all but four newspapers were banned," Mahmudur said of Ali's detention. "Coincidentally, this is June again."
> >
> > "I have heard that he is being coerced into bringing charges against me," he told bdnews24.com. "Is this what they have learnt from the Moeen Uddins, the perpetrators of 1/11?" "I guess they will try to file a case against me," he said.
> >
> > Mahmudur took over the management of the newspaper in 2008. Later he sent a letter to the deputy commissioner for serving as editor of the newspaper. Since then he has been the acting editor of the newspaper. Mahmudur, also the chairman of Amar Desh Publications Limited, said "This daily speaks for a free and sovereign state. As a result, many of its news are not going in favour of the government and are displeasing them. So they are trying to shut it down." 
> >  
> >  
> >  
> > http://www.newagebd .com/2010/ jun/02/front. html
> >  
> > http://www.bbc. co.uk/bengali/ news/2010/ 06/100601_ ka_amardesh_ closure.shtml
> >  
> > http://amardeshonli ne.com/pages/ details/2010/ 06/02/34715
> >  
> > http://amardeshonli ne.com/pages/ details/2010/ 06/02/34632
> >  
> > http://www.samakal. com.bd/details. php?news= 13&action=main&option=single&news_id=69691&pub_no=354
> >
>



__._,_.___


[Disclaimer: ALOCHONA Management is not liable for information contained in this message. The author takes full responsibility.]
To unsubscribe/subscribe, send request to alochona-owner@egroups.com




Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___