Banner Advertiser

Thursday, August 19, 2010

[ALOCHONA] Shayan: gradual rise of an artist



 

 

One of the most popular contemporary singers Shayan has earned popularity for her unique rendition style, ability of composing unique music and writing lyrics. The transformation of this little, curious girl to a wondrous musician has not been sudden but through a gradual process. The writer talks to this enigmatic persona and reveals the secrets of her evolution.
   Listening to music of the legendary singers of the subcontinent, her devotion for music grew up at an early stage of her life. 'I was highly influenced by Shahnaz Rahmatullah,' Shyan says, 'I received some sort of training from my mother and elder brother Ershad. But, truly I have been self-taught.'
   'During my stay in Canada (1997-2001), I experienced different forms of music–– Rabindranath, Bob Dylan etc. By then I developed my opinion. I actually enjoyed the short stay of four years there after I realised it,' adds Shayan.
   Explaining the struggle during the release of her first album, Shyan says, 'I had a struggle of seven years as all the tracks of my first recording were lost. So, I restarted the recording in Calcutta and finished in April that year when it was released.'
   'There is another twist in the story', she adds, 'That was the market demand. I didn't know whether or not my work would suit the market. I did not care about the consequences. My destiny was to release my album.'
   'My friends, seeing how ardently I pursued my passion, created a production called Gaan Poka to release my album Shayaner Gaan. They said they didn't care whether or not anybody bought the album. They just wanted to help me out with all that they had.'
   'For music, I had to quit my job, live in Calcutta. But, at the end of the day the prospects were really low. The company formed by my friends was done out of emotion and lacked professional expertise and marketing strategies. So, the album could not be publicised widely. Yet, I was content. At least my album was out.'
   'On 12 September, 2008, I was called to a phonolive in ETV. About four months after my album was released, I got the platform I was craving for. It was the first time I connected with my audience.'
   'The show began at 12:00 at night. It was the time of Ramadan. It was a wonder as you would expect people to have fallen asleep by then, but no. Due to public demand, the show was extended till 3.30 am. It's also one of the most popular videos in youtube.'
   Shayan released a double CD last year. About her current plans, she said, 'We are working on a family album Just Wahid. Each of us will put two songs and pay tributes. Like Ershad I will pay tribute to my uncle Ferdous Wahid and Habib to my father.' The tracks Shayan is releasing here will be Ar Koto, Koto Ar and Kolbalish. The lyrics of both of these have been composed back in her teens. The tribute song she will be doing for the album would be Jodi Jantam by Ferdous Wahid.
   'When I am sharing music with myself, I am amalgamating–the element was always there.'
   'My target was to succumb to music. At some points of life, most of the things are discovered. Music can knock on your conscience. A person can relate to it with inspiration. I just knew that this was meant for me, and here I am today.'


__._,_.___


[Disclaimer: ALOCHONA Management is not liable for information contained in this message. The author takes full responsibility.]
To unsubscribe/subscribe, send request to alochona-owner@egroups.com




Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___