Banner Advertiser

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

[ALOCHONA] Physical and Mental Health of our Society



Physical and Mental Health of our society

1.

During my two weeks stay, mainly in my village, brought unforgettable happiness except when I had to return to the capital, close to the supreme authority of power and so called posh area of our unlivable Capital.

I had to visit a cousin who was recovering from serious ailment in a big hospital in Dhaka. As we all know of our medical facilities how little for how large a population, and top of it, those who can afford still can not rid him/her off  from the predatory attitude and chauvinistic characteristic of our doctors and medical service providers.                

Let me share what I have experienced during my stay - A kid of a friend of my brother went out to play cricket or foot ball ( I guess children do not play foot ball these days) and came running home that he got hurt in his head. Loving dad rushed him to a good hospital. Doctor asked for a CT scan immediately that revealed no fracture or injury - 'However we need to keep him under observation', bewilder dad couldn't argue, straight to 'CU' . Dad, who just lost millions in share market yet couldn't refuse the cost and the expenditure. When a simple xray could have been the initial test, I am not a doctor but it is common sense, you go step by step, boy was not vomiting or bleeding.  But you are talking against someone who deals with your life and death, you can not argue or negotiate.

2.

Our popular writer Humayan Ahmed's mother was put on a oxygen musk in another good hospital without oxygen and was detected by the 'word spinning' writer himself not by the attending nurse. An influential writer like Humayan Ahmed  did not argue or negotiate but to save his mother's life took her away from the hospital. He never complained – at least with his powerful pen, pencil or Notebook. He took his mother out, out of fear of maltreatment or death but he did not express his frustration, why, if I only meet him in heaven would ask, not in this world. If he would have spoke, a social ill would have got more exposed and benefit would have loomed large but that usually do not happen in our society, play safe and talk tall. The mother has another intellectual 'mover and shaker' son.

3.

I was told that doctor is coming in his tour and he doesn't like to see people around the patient but I was determined to take his wrath and if I can would ask him what is the chance of my sister's normal life here after. He is the best surgeon in the town. I stood firm, so the savior arrives. After describing what is her status and rehabilitation needs, I spoke. But surprisingly found him very appreciative, he sat down on the bed and put his hand on my sister's foot.  I was assured, though following day to my surprise she was taken to ICU again and my inlaw was struggling with more than a million taka bill.

 4.

Alhamdulillah! During my many yearly vacations I never had to visit doctors clinic so far, but was invited for  lunch or dinner many a time by famous doctors. They are generally very  hard working who works more than 14 hours a day, 5 to 6 hours with the government hospital, another 7 hours at the private hospital. Few of them goes abroad frequently, buys flats and land every other year, talk tall -a symbol of nouve rich in our society. Hospitals they work for not only lack confidence but lack minimum ethics.  

5.

It is not only that our health care is crumbling in the hand of politicians and their crony physicians but the doctors in their hospital void of any hospitality save the professional ethics.  This succinctly mirror our society, a young doctor tells me how the doctors were used who await it under a doctrine or philosophy of faith embedded in utter greed,  by the politicians from the successive governments that helped further the cause of deterioration of this service sector, thanks to the unqualified promotions and postings that also culminated into unbridle corruptions.

6.

Perhaps, I wouldn't have spoken that day had I not lived abroad, like our writer and scientist despite their mother was put at risk, symbolizing the fear that exists and greed that devoid us of our consciousness.   

Note – I have checked full weak following the incident of Dr. Muhammad Zafarullah's mother and found nothing on the issue in their favorite news dailies. I wish their mother all well.



__._,_.___


[Disclaimer: ALOCHONA Management is not liable for information contained in this message. The author takes full responsibility.]
To unsubscribe/subscribe, send request to alochona-owner@egroups.com




Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___