Banner Advertiser

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Fwd: [mukto-mona] Is exhibition of love and affection still a taboo in our cultural tradition?






I think it is a basic difference between eastern and western cultures. Not only in Bengal if you proceed further east, you may see more of the same phenomenon. 


Do you think these are good traditions of our culture? If so why?

>>>>>> Traditions are just that-----tradition. It is good for people who agree with it and practice it. It may look less than good for people who are not exposed to it. Men in the middle east kiss when they meet. I don't get it because I am not from the ME. I am sure people from the west would be uneasy with such gesture. Similarly giving a kiss on the cheek is common in the west when we meet a lady for the first time. I don't think average Bengali would ever get used to it.

Or the bear hug given by westerns when they are excited. We Bengalis express "Love" with our speech most of the time not by touching or hugging strangers. Specifically our traditional  fathers were not so keen to show their love to us.

One elder told me about his dad. He said was not only my "Bap", he was more like "Bapre bap". Fear would overcome any love him may felt towards his father. The same person made enormous sacrifice in his career to take care of his father when he became old. Which you are unlikely to witness in the west.

I think all traditions have some good in them. Also important to understand the intentions behind showing love.

I am comfortable in the middle path. There are "Traditions" of the west and east I like. I practice those which suits my taste and reject the ones I don't think is compatible with my personality and ideals.

Shalom!

-----Original Message-----
From: Jiten Roy <jnrsr53@yahoo.com>
To: mukto-mona <mukto-mona@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Wed, Aug 1, 2012 5:05 am
Subject: [mukto-mona] Is exhibition of love and affection still a taboo in our cultural tradition?

 
I wonder if exhibitions of love and affection are still taboos in our cultural tradition in Bengal.
 
You might ask why I am suddenly raising this question. I am doing so because I used to ask this question to me when I was a child, and, now that I am outside of my motherland for a while, still that question is haunting me again.
 
It is hard to get rid this customary habit, even after living, for a long time, in an open and liberal society. I don't know about you, but - that's been my experience.  
 
As I remember – our parents used to hold off their emotional outburst of love and affection towards themselves as well as towards their children, let alone allowing love and affection between young boys and girls.  I don't think that has change substantially by now. Do you think these are good traditions of our culture? If so why?
 
Jiten Roy


__._,_.___


****************************************************
Mukto Mona plans for a Grand Darwin Day Celebration: 
Call For Articles:

http://mukto-mona.com/wordpress/?p=68

http://mukto-mona.com/banga_blog/?p=585

****************************************************

VISIT MUKTO-MONA WEB-SITE : http://www.mukto-mona.com/

****************************************************

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it".
               -Beatrice Hall [pseudonym: S.G. Tallentyre], 190




Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___