Banner Advertiser

Sunday, May 22, 2011

[ALOCHONA] Re: Dr Mohsin Ali - A challenge



Dear Dr Mohsin Ali

 

Thank you for your reply.

 

I may not be as smart as your children but I am smart enough to use the internet. J. The best websites on the subject fall far, far short of substantiating the number 3 million. Rather, the sites wriggle around uncomfortably on the number killed, without diminishing the facts of genocide or mass rape.

 

I certainly have not been denying genocide and siding with the Pakistanis for the last decade and I do speak from a Bengali point of view! But as I am not a sworn member of the AL or its allies, and as I do not hold every word of Sheikh Mujib, or his family members, to be the gospel truth, you can only visualise me in one way.

 

I mentioned your hostile descriptions of me not because I was offended by them but to warn you that you are making a mistake. Neither of us should take offence – this is the language of BangladeshI politics. It only seems to be hurtful online because it is in front of people we do not know. We would not even notice such language during a rally J Many who do stand up vociferously for AL or BNP tend to be rock headed sycophants. They pander to the whims of party leaders and are incapable of a new narrative.

 

I accept that you have used negative terms about me because you think I am a rock headed sycophant of Pakistani generalsJ It is an understandable mistake. I have used negative terms about you because I think you are a rock headed sycophant of the AL leadership J I hope it too will prove to be an understandable mistake. J.

 

My argument does not depend on Ms Bose or Pakistan Generals but depends on common sense and accountability. Good natured political disagreement in NY is irrelevant to the horrible political disagreement in Bangladesh, though nobody is under the illusion that Bangladeshi politics abroad is ‘civilised’. Shameful episodes bound everywhere.

 

I concede the floor to you as and when you break down emotionally when any sacrifice of 1971 is questioned. I would not dare to question such emotions.

 

But if the thick skin of our political establishment can only be offended when the number 3 million is challenged – then challenge the number we shall. We know how to challenge it. If you think Ms Bose or Pakistani Generals are relevant to any such challenge then you will be unhappily surprised.   

 

The culprits you mention should all be punished. But punishment alone renders the sacrifices of our martyrs in vain. We need a government and a society that is based upon values that are derived from the values of our noble ancestors – integrity, honesty, decency and compassion. Those who preside over the destruction of such values (both AL and BNP, one more than the other, depending on one’s preference) cannot seek shelter under the nobility of our martyrs or our religion or our patience.

 

Your memories and your sufferings are far more intimately offended by AL than by me. The same is true of war veterans who support BNP.

 

What I have to say about my country I can say to any freedom fighter, face to face. Free of the limitation of the written word, I believe most freedom fighters will find my words agreeable. They will find in them the vocal expressions of their own silent anger at our performance to date and of their own resolute faith that we must become far better than we are today.     

 

Nobody is asking you to leave AL. It is a mighty party, mixed with our soil. But that doesn’t mean you stay silent about every transgression committed by the party. You and I both know how useful it is to speak in private to a visiting political dignitary. All they want is their crest, a dinner in their honour and possibly a ‘gift’.

 

Joy Bangla was beautiful in 1971. Since then the crowds who shout it loudest are the ones who shelter those who commit murder, rape, extortion and mayhem. Same for Bangladesh Zindabad. Young girls have been victim of acid attacks and yet the culprits have found political shelter. If you can apply context to such things – and you can - then I can challenge the number 3 million.

 

If we met at the home of a mutual friend we might get on quite well. But this cannot be about you and me because we both know that both our hearts reside in the ‘field’ or ‘maat’. So I accept your counter offer to have a debate in your chambers provided at least a hundred of your workers attend. We shall discuss the number 3 million and our national politics. My only conditions are that a $1,000 penalty shall be paid if I am disturbed whilst speaking, there will be no winner, we shall speak in English (I shall try not to speak in Sylheti!) and at least 30 young people should be present.

 

I have no intention of questioning the fundamentals of your political being – genocide did happen, you are a freedom fighter and you believe in AL. This is all good. Still, our debate should prove to be lively, entertaining and provocative. I believe it will be productive.

 

You are free to ignore the comments of others – just as I am.

 

Best wishes

 

Ezajur Rahman

Kuwait

 



__._,_.___


[Disclaimer: ALOCHONA Management is not liable for information contained in this message. The author takes full responsibility.]
To unsubscribe/subscribe, send request to alochona-owner@egroups.com




Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___