Banner Advertiser

Friday, September 14, 2012

Re: [mukto-mona] Re: Obama vows justice for killed US envoy



Yes, I know some personally. I know people with Ph.D. in Chemistry, and working in computer science. That's why people in this country get educated in multi-disciplinary fields. While I was doing my research in Biophysics, I was taking computer courses as a fall-back strategy. It so happened that my computer education became more useful in my line of work than my major research field. In this country, undergrad students usually choose double majors. Yes, there are people who are not happy with their job or opportunity, but that does not define the norm. We are not taking about the exceptions.

Jiten Roy

--- On Fri, 9/14/12, Subimal Chakrabarty <subimal@yahoo.com> wrote:


From: Subimal Chakrabarty <subimal@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [mukto-mona] Re: Obama vows justice for killed US envoy
To: "mukto-mona@yahoogroups.com" <mukto-mona@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Friday, September 14, 2012, 8:06 PM

 
Please read my last sentence: No doubt, this land is a land of freedom and opportunities. 
My point was that one coming to Dhaka from a remote village for higher education with 20 taka in pocket can also be a high achiever. You and I both have seen many live examples. My guess is (I guess I am right) that you might have $20 in your pocket, but you also had a job offer in your pocket which some of our friends in BD did not have. Now let me say about Ph.Ds. Job loss of professionals can be very severe. We have seen talented Ph.Ds losing jobs and not getting in years or never. These are realities. I have seen Ph.Ds going back to their country after trying for a job for some time. 


Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 14, 2012, at 7:03 PM, Jiten Roy <jnrsr53@yahoo.com> wrote:

 

If I understood correctly - the first part of your comments says America is not a land of opportunity for some people, because many people are not working in the field they graduated from. Yet, you are concluding that America is the land of opportunity. What is it?

 

My friend, I am not working in my field of education also, and you will find millions of people, like me, who switch fields every day. It has nothing to do with smartness. How many countries can offer that flexibility? Forget about me, ask yourself - are you better off in America than you would have been in any other countries?

 

Now, let me remind you again, if you have forgotten, real king-maker is the perception in life, not how much money you have. You will probably find – millionaires, who are not happy because they are not billionaires yet. We have a janitor in our department. Whenever I see him, he gives me inspiration. He is always so happy. When I asked him about his secret, he said – "Life is what you make of it." In my view – he is the king in his world. You can be resentful of others' successes or you can make peace with what you have or you can dream for betterment and strive for it. It is up to you. I know it will be hard to understand for those who are getting daily dose of resentment and anti-rich mantra from our beloved President.

 

Jiten Roy

 
 


--- On Thu, 9/13/12, subimal chakrabarty <subimal@yahoo.com> wrote:


From: subimal chakrabarty <subimal@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [mukto-mona] Re: Obama vows justice for killed US envoy
To: "mukto-mona@yahoogroups.com" <mukto-mona@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Thursday, September 13, 2012, 10:50 PM

 
About a day or two ago, Dr. Jiten Roy said that he came to America with only $20 in his pocket and the land of opportunity has placed him where he is now. Maybe he now owns $20 million. As far as I know, any student of Physics who came to America for higher studies came with a job (assistantship) in hand. Some students even got the plane fare from the university. But think about the student who came to Dhaka university with 20 taka in hand and graduated with a good degree that helped him come to America. I know many Ph.Ds from good schools in America who are not doing "proper" jobs. I cannot say that those who are not getting jobs despite having good degrees are less smart. 
I hope nobody misunderunderstand me. No doubt this is a land of freedom and opportunities.  

From: Kamal Das <kamalctgu@gmail.com>
To: mukto-mona@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thursday, September 13, 2012 8:40 PM
Subject: Re: [mukto-mona] Re: Obama vows justice for killed US envoy
 
There is nobody else with the very same name as mine.  You should very well know where I come from, your origin being the same place.  Being a new convert you are expected to display more loyalty but having your trust in it is a different matter.  If the US-University system is among the great things in your opinion, you are unaware of it's history even sixty years ago.  Even the Ivy Leaguers were way behind the European ones.

The world would be much better off without the U. S. help and their intervention.


On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 6:45 AM, Jiten Roy <jnrsr53@yahoo.com> wrote:
 
I am sorry, I may have made a huge boo-boo; I was all along thinking you as someone else with the very same name.
You said: "I suggest you study the history of it's rise and it's contribution to the world politics for last few hundred years and develop a solid basis beneath the loyalty to your new found nation."
Now I know - where you are coming from, and why you can't find anything great about USA. How about US-University system? I know just about enough US history to appreciate it this much. Do you know what this world expects from USA? They want US help, but no influence. Is that a reasonable expectation? Show me any other country in the world which will satisfy this expectation. Don't judge everything with emotion; be a little bit practical thinker instead.
Jiten Roy
  --- On Thu, 9/13/12, Kamal Das <kamalctgu@gmail.com> wrote:
From: Kamal Das <kamalctgu@gmail.com> Subject: Re: [mukto-mona] Re: Obama vows justice for killed US envoy To: mukto-mona@yahoogroups.com
Date: Thursday, September 13, 2012, 7:53 PM
 
I worked all my life in the land I was born, spent a few years for 'higher education' in the U. S. A., and I am not yet retired.  U.S.A. is a great nation built by ruining the Red Indians, snatching land away from other colonialists, and made rich by virtue of two great wars that left it untouched.  I suggest you study the history of it's rise and it's contribution to the world politics for last few hundred years and develop a solid basis beneath the loyalty to your new found nation.  
On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 4:51 AM, Jiten Roy <jnrsr53@yahoo.com> wrote:
 

Let me explain my problem with most of your comments, they are usually 1 – 2 liners. So, usually, we have to guess what you mean. I am glad that you clarified your political bent. I believe, most people in this forum support democratic platform. That's fine with me. Political talks in this forum is meaningless. I can give hundred reasons why I support other party, but - nobody will change their mind. Then what's the point. So, let's stay away from politics.
 
The other issue you raised is interesting. You said you are staying away from US pressure-cooker society. I am not sure what that means. As far as I know, a substantial part of your life has been spent in the USA; you received higher education here, and worked here until retirement. Now, you feel US society is a pressure-cooker, and you live outside. It will be interesting if you care to explain a bit more on this, because I also think this society is moving away from the traditional values that made this country great. I do not like what I see recently.
 
You said that USA arranged and/or sat back while Japan attacked the Pearl Harbor, so that they can bomb Japan into Stone Age. It is apparent from your statements that – you are a contrarian, and believe in the conspiracy theories. You probably also believe 9/11 was planned by George Bush administration so they can attack Afghanistan and Iraq. My wife told me yesterday – she heard that - the infamous film was funded by middle-eastern money to spark the violence against the USA. All these are a bit nutty to me, to put it mildly. Then again, what do I know about the truth? After all, human-beings are the most dangerous animals on the planet.
 
Jiten Roy --- On Wed, 9/12/12, Kamal Das <kamalctgu@gmail.com> wrote:
From: Kamal Das <kamalctgu@gmail.com> Subject: Re: [mukto-mona] Re: Obama vows justice for killed US envoy To: mukto-mona@yahoogroups.com
Date: Wednesday, September 12, 2012, 11:56 PM
 
You seem overwhelmed with emotion.  I am not a Democratic voter, I do not even reside in that pressure cooker society called the U. S. A.  It's not unlikely for the U. S. agents to pull strings to stage such event as happened in Benghazi to raise the popularity of an incumbent U. S. President in the election year.  Remember, even the Pearl Harbor bombing was allowed to happen.  Hawaii is less an American island than Japanese; Of fifty states, nothing more than thirteen colonies should be legitimately claimed by the U. S. A.
On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 9:17 AM, Jiten Roy <jnrsr53@yahoo.com> wrote:
 

Oh, I see - if it is typical Republican response, it does not count. I forgot about that.
Can I accuse you as a brainwashed Democrat to dismiss everything you say?
Actually, I won't. I know everything you say, you mean it. And, I hope, you will believe that in my case also. I did not hide my political bent; it's not a secret. You and Dr. Jafforullah must know that.
Jiten Roy
 
--- On Wed, 9/12/12, Kamal Das <


__._,_.___


****************************************************
Mukto Mona plans for a Grand Darwin Day Celebration: 
Call For Articles:

http://mukto-mona.com/wordpress/?p=68

http://mukto-mona.com/banga_blog/?p=585

****************************************************

VISIT MUKTO-MONA WEB-SITE : http://www.mukto-mona.com/

****************************************************

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it".
               -Beatrice Hall [pseudonym: S.G. Tallentyre], 190




Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___