Banner Advertiser

Sunday, July 13, 2014

Re: [mukto-mona]



1. I am not aware of any statistics. But my experience is different. I had close relatives and close Hindu friends who joined liberation war. I will not be surprised if the number of Hindu freedom fighters was proportionately at least same as that of Muslim freedom fighters.

2. Sorry Dr. Bain, my last response was marred by an incomplete sentence and also slip of the pen. What I meant is that I did not want to be merely politically correct. Given my standard of judgment, I gave my honest opinion. As a matter of fact, when you say that without the political struggle for the rights of the Bangalees within Pakistan from 1947 to 1971, there would be no question of Bangladesh, or of freedom fight, or of Indian intervention, you are partially agreeing with me. For complete agreement you just need to add the phrases "arms struggle" and "international campaigns by our leaders" to the phrase "political struggle". You should also agree that these are not little things at all. So it is the Bengalis who were the prime movers. India was, I repeat, was only a strong catalyst. Definitely India would not have made East Pakistan a part of India after Niazi surrendered as she knew that it genuinely belonged to the Bengalis and she also knew that any attempt to do so would be disastrous.  

3. Compare the Bangladesh freedom movement with the freedom movements of the colonies belonging to different colonial powers. Take Indian freedom as an example. In the final stage it was nothing but negotiations at various levels. But we all know that rebellions, arms insurgencies, political rallies, political discourses (even within the British Parliament), non-cooperation, etc. led to the final hours of negotiations. Moreover, holding colonies gradually became unviable. Then how can we say that our independence was less earned than the Indian independence?      
  





__._,_.___

Posted by: subimal chakrabarty <subimal@yahoo.com>


****************************************************
Mukto Mona plans for a Grand Darwin Day Celebration: 
Call For Articles:

http://mukto-mona.com/wordpress/?p=68

http://mukto-mona.com/banga_blog/?p=585

****************************************************

VISIT MUKTO-MONA WEB-SITE : http://www.mukto-mona.com/

****************************************************

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it".
               -Beatrice Hall [pseudonym: S.G. Tallentyre], 190





__,_._,___