Banner Advertiser

Thursday, January 30, 2014

Re: [mukto-mona] A letter of appeal to Mukto-mona friends



Today we help a victim with rebuilding his house, tomorrow the criminals come back to burn it; how would that really help the victim?


>>>>>>>> Good point.

One way would be to go press the government on punishing the criminals. While the present government's action of rebuilding Ramu and the plan of rebuilding Malorara are appreciable, I think to really solve the problem, the criminals must be punished in terms of sentencing them to death and life in prison as well as making them pay for the rebuilding costs.


>>>>>>> This is where empowering police, media and courts comes. I have been saying it for months now and if we can get something done, it will help victims from all faith groups.

Shalom!


-----Original Message-----
From: Sukhamaya Bain <subain1@yahoo.com>
To: mukto-mona <mukto-mona@yahoogroups.com>
Cc: roya_k2003 <roya_k2003@yahoo.com>
Sent: Sat, Jan 25, 2014 10:43 am
Subject: Re: [mukto-mona] A letter of appeal to Mukto-mona friends

 
Dear Professor Roy:
 
Thank you for your appeal to mukto-mona through Avijit. More generally speaking, I greatly appreciate and admire your work for the dignity and rights of the religious minorities in Bangladesh. Instead of enjoying a leisurely life at retirement, you have been working hard due to your caring mind for people who continue to be oppressed by religious hate-mongers.
 
Having said that with complete sincerity, I would like to express a bit of my mind to you.
 
I have been helping my family, friends and neighbors in Bangladesh pretty much continuously since my arrival in the USA in 1981. For outside of my family, my help has been aimed at empowering people through education. As my family has achieved a reasonable degree of financial solvency (due to their better education), my help over the last seven years has gone mostly to outside of my family. Even for education, I am totally opposed to help a poor person to pay for private tutors. I believe the culture of teachers not teaching in the classroom and making money by forcing students to come to them later must stop. I consider this a serious moral decay in Bangladesh. At least I am not willing to help that culture.
 
As for the hatred and atrocities against religious minorities committed by Muslims, I think they must be addressed socio-politically, in terms of educating the Muslims, supporting and protecting the religious minorities, and punishing the criminals. Most of each of these three actions must be taken by the government. Today we help a victim with rebuilding his house, tomorrow the criminals come back to burn it; how would that really help the victim?
 
Honestly, if Bangladesh was like the USA, where owning guns is a legal right, I would have been willing to help the victims buy some guns to protect themselves. Since that would be illegal in Bangladesh, we need to find smarter ways to empower the victims. One way would be to go press the government on punishing the criminals. While the present government's action of rebuilding Ramu and the plan of rebuilding Malorara are appreciable, I think to really solve the problem, the criminals must be punished in terms of sentencing them to death and life in prison as well as making them pay for the rebuilding costs.
 
Personally, I am willing to have the victims suffer so that they would get angry enough to stand up and defend themselves, and even die for defending their dignity and rights. Thus, I am opposed to personally help them rebuild.
 
I plan to write more comprehensively on some of the issues that I mentioned above.
 
Thanks again.
 
With best regards,
 
Sukhamaya Bain
    
========================================================
From: Ajoy Roy <roya_k2003@yahoo.com>
To: mukto-mona@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Friday, January 24, 2014 1:50 PM
Subject: [mukto-mona] A letter of appeal to Mukto-mona friends [1 Attachment]
 
[Attachment(s) from Ajoy Roy included below]
Attention:
Dr. Avijit Roy
Moderator & members of Mukto-mona Groups 

Dear Avijit,
 
For a long time I have not been not in touch with you. As you know these days I am pretty busy with so called minority persecution almost throughout the year 2013. 2012 year witnessed the devastating communal violence at Ramu, Cox'sbazar on the Buddha Communities and on their monasteries. I myself visited the cite, saw the extent of man-made devastation could be by the fanatics which included not only the Jamatis and BNPs but a section of Awami League followers being influenced by the false propaganda that through a Facebook a Buddhist young man insulted the Prophet of Islam (sm).
 
Recently our team visited the affected areas of Karnai in Dinajpur where thousands of men and women were persecuted, manhandles, women were insulted, houses and business establishments broken, set fire and looted the properties. I have a sent a detail report to Mukto-mona. Now we have to do something positive materially to rehabilitate most affected families say about 100-150. We made an assessment. The programme needs ~ 40-50 lac BD taka.
 
You once hinted that Mokto-mona wants to do some thing positive. 50 lac (5,000,000) BT taka will be around ~ 62,500 US$. Can Mukto-mona Friends come forward to raise the fund for the victims of Karnai village, Dinajpur.
 
I very honestly appeal to Mukto-mona members to come forward to raise the fund for the sake of human sufferings. We did the similar rehabilitation programme at Annada Prasad village and at Khedaimari School, a char Island in River Brahmaputra a few years back.
 
I am enclosing here with the rehabilitation programme of Karnai people.
 
With love to you and very good wishes to your Mukto mona groups    
 
Yours affectionately
Baba
(Professor Ajoy Roy)
DU, Dhaka.
24 January 2014-01-25

Ps: can you send the link in which you wrote about me 'Tini Bridha Holen etc. I lost the article of yours that I and your mom liked very much, and want to preserve it. Do something for it. I am physically passing very hard days. Cost of my own and your mom's treatment plus the domestic expenditure almost became unbearable. Please don't take it otherwise. Some how I am managing.      


__._,_.___


****************************************************
Mukto Mona plans for a Grand Darwin Day Celebration: 
Call For Articles:

http://mukto-mona.com/wordpress/?p=68

http://mukto-mona.com/banga_blog/?p=585

****************************************************

VISIT MUKTO-MONA WEB-SITE : http://www.mukto-mona.com/

****************************************************

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it".
               -Beatrice Hall [pseudonym: S.G. Tallentyre], 190




Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___