Banner Advertiser

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Re: [mukto-mona] Sitar Maestro Ravi Shankar: My fond memories



Maestro's sitar will be deeply missed. Did we ever thank him and Harrison for their moral and monetary support during 1971 war? Probably not.
-SD

 
"All great truths begin as blasphemies." GBS

From: Farida Majid <farida_majid@hotmail.com>
To:
Sent: Wednesday, December 12, 2012 5:38 PM
Subject: [mukto-mona] Sitar Maestro Ravi Shankar: My fond memories

 


That is the face of Robi mama I remember when I first introduced myself as my nana's g'daughter to him at the Commonwealth Centre in London after one of his sitar recitals. He in turn introduced me to George Harrison who had come to see him behind the stage.

Pandit Ravishankar's family hailed fr
om Narail, Jessore, my nana, Kobi Golam Mustafa's home district. So every time we met he would greet me with the words "joshure koi" acknowledging both my nana's reputation as a poet and a common regional heritage with pride.

He was not only the instigator of the historic Bangladesh Concert with George Harrison at Madison Square Garden in 1971, he had written a Bangla song for the concert. When we went to meet him at his hotel in NYC prior to the Concert, he handed me a piece of paper and asked me to read the lyrics of the song. I got a complimentary ticket from him to sit on the 2nd row from the front at the Concert at Madison Square Garden.  It was one of the most memorable events in my life!

He genuinely loved his homeland -- Bangladesh. Never for a moment in his long and illustrious career did he forget his Bangalitwo. We should salute him as a proud son of Mother Bengal.


       Farida Majid






__._,_.___


****************************************************
Mukto Mona plans for a Grand Darwin Day Celebration: 
Call For Articles:

http://mukto-mona.com/wordpress/?p=68

http://mukto-mona.com/banga_blog/?p=585

****************************************************

VISIT MUKTO-MONA WEB-SITE : http://www.mukto-mona.com/

****************************************************

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it".
               -Beatrice Hall [pseudonym: S.G. Tallentyre], 190




Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___