Banner Advertiser

Friday, July 12, 2013

Re: [mukto-mona] FW: বঙ্গ সম্মেলনে নেই বাংলাদেশ



I think Mr. Rahman is guessing. I attended several times. I have never seen Taslima invited or even discussed. I don't know about this time however. Her books are however available in bookstalls. I have lot of friends belonging to the so called secularist group believe that Taslima has failed us in achieving our national goals of secularism and communal harmony. I however do not agree with them as I think that Taslima is an excuse for the communalists and Islamists to advance their agenda. 

I don't know what should be meant by colonial mentality of the WB Bengalis. Do we also have the similar mentality? What I understand that we can perceive some kind of cultural difference. Even belonging to the same religion the Bangladeshi Hindus in general try to maintain their identity and mixing is not all free. 

Hemanta-Tarashsnkar-Uttam-Satyajit Ray-Jibanananda golden days are now history. I am sure Bangladesh is gradually catching up. But I hate to be chauvinistic and propose a time line when we will surpass them. Advancement of Bengali arts and literature has to be a joint venture. 

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 11, 2013, at 7:12 AM, QR <qrahman@netscape.net> wrote:

 

Selecting Taslima does not promote a welcoming of common Bangladeshis. But this has been the tone of that Sammelan for decades. So I am not surprised.

However there have been some occasions where people of both Bengals did work as a team and done well. So no need to get overanxious over this. The elite of West Bengal are in their obsolete colonial mentality about Bangladeshis but make no mistake they have to come to us in future.

Shalom!


-----Original Message-----
From: Sukhamaya Bain <subain1@yahoo.com>
To: mukto-mona <mukto-mona@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Thu, Jul 11, 2013 4:26 am
Subject: Re: [mukto-mona] FW: বঙ্গ সম্মেলনে নেই বাংলাদেশ

 
I was once in the editorial board of the Banga Sammelan magazine more than twenty years back. From my experience in that organizational capacity, I would say that Banglaees of both Bengals have some blame to share for the absence of many Bangladeshi groups there.
 
Talking about Taslima Nasrin, my experience is that the principal players of Banga Sammelan want that gathering to remain apolitical, and do not want sensitive socio-political issues there. However, I would also say that most of them probably do not care to see a book-banning mentality there.
 
===================================
From: Shumon Ahmed <shumonoh@yahoo.com>
To: "mukto-mona@yahoogroups.com" <mukto-mona@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Tuesday, July 9, 2013 8:28 PM
Subject: Re: [mukto-mona] FW: বঙ্গ সম্মেলনে নেই বাংলাদেশ
 
One reason I don't participate in Bangalee Shammelan is because a few years back when I wanted to go to the one in NYC, a special invited guest was Taslima Nasrin. The book that they discussed in there was a banned book of Taslima Nasrin.
 

From: Jiten Roy <jnrsr53@yahoo.com>
To: "mukto-mona@yahoogroups.com" <mukto-mona@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Tuesday, July 9, 2013 7:28 PM
Subject: Re: [mukto-mona] FW: বঙ্গ সম্মেলনে নেই বাংলাদেশ
 

First find out why Bangladeshi representation is so low, then blame Indian-Bangalee for the lack of representation. I personally know the founder-organizer of this organization; he tells me that - they try every year to bring representation from Bangladesh, but it never gets materialized due to the lack of interest from the Bangladeshi counterparts. I experienced it first hand when this conference was held in New York many years back.
Also, do you know - how many parallel competing Bangladeshi-Bangalee organizations exist now? When I checked last time, there were at least two organizations, one of them (FOBANA) is holding a Bangalee-conference in August at Atlanta, I believe. So, do not try to use everything for politics.

Jiten Roy

From: Shahadat Hussaini <shahadathussaini@hotmail.com>
To: bangladesh-progressives googlegroups <bangladesh-progressives@googlegroups.com>; "khabor@yahoogroups.com" <khabor@yahoogroups.com>; Sayeda Haq <sayedahaq@yahoo.com>; alochona <alochona@yahoogroups.com>; mokto mona <mukto-mona@yahoogroups.com>; chottala yahoogroups <chottala@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Tuesday, July 9, 2013 4:04 PM
Subject: [mukto-mona] FW: বঙ্গ সম্মেলনে নেই বাংলাদেশ


__._,_.___


****************************************************
Mukto Mona plans for a Grand Darwin Day Celebration: 
Call For Articles:

http://mukto-mona.com/wordpress/?p=68

http://mukto-mona.com/banga_blog/?p=585

****************************************************

VISIT MUKTO-MONA WEB-SITE : http://www.mukto-mona.com/

****************************************************

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it".
               -Beatrice Hall [pseudonym: S.G. Tallentyre], 190




Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___