Banner Advertiser

Saturday, September 15, 2012

Re: [mukto-mona] “Innocence of Muslims” is a Condemnable Video.



I like the phrase 'academic research' mentioned by Dr. Bain. I do it all the time. I try to read a history book or a historical character with no preconceived notion in my mind. Even when I read Manusanhita, I try to understand in what social contexts that book was written and what the historical significance those pages offer. It helps me understanding a society in an unprejudiced manner. 
Currently I am having exchange of views with Mr. Q. Rahman. I am reading a book on assassins to understand how Islam was unfortunately divided into two distinct groups to bring havoc in the world. 

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 15, 2012, at 10:58 AM, Sukhamaya Bain <subain1@yahoo.com> wrote:

 

I would not dig into the life of anyone that lived on this Earth fifteen hundred years back for the sole purpose of denigrating him/her. For I realize that such a long time back people in most parts of the world knew less and lived a primitive and uncivilized life. I would be willing to do academic research on the lives of big heroes and villains in order to learn virtues and discard vices. However, raw insults and mocking do not do any good, especially when the subject in question is revered by millions of people with a lot of emotion, even when everything said is based upon facts.
 
However, I would be against hatred and injustice during my time, no matter what religion or philosophy endorses them. I think the world would be a lot better place if the powerful political and economic forces did not play games with, and did not tolerate, hatred and injustice due to religions. I am not talking about cheap insults on anyone or on any religion; I am talking about methodical removal of hatred and injustice from the world.
 
Sukhamaya Bain   

=======================================
From: Kamal Das <kamalctgu@gmail.com>
To: mukto-mona@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Friday, September 14, 2012 8:38 PM
Subject: Re: [mukto-mona] "Innocence of Muslims" is a Condemnable Video.

 
It may be condemnable.  Yet it hasn't portrayed anything that does not already exist in the Islamic literature about the 'holy' prophet.

On Sat, Sep 15, 2012 at 4:07 AM, Sukhamaya Bain <subain1@yahoo.com> wrote:
 
(Re-sent with a typo correction.)

I was disgusted looking at a 14 minutes trailer of the video, "Innocence of Muslims", on the internet. I do not see anything good in this video. I do not see anything good that the makers of this video could accomplish here. I do not see anyone learning anything good from this video. I do not see any good sense of entertainment here. I do not see how this video could help any class of people in any way.
 
I express my strong condemnation of this video. I am also pleased that the US Secretary of State, Hillary Clinton, has expressed her disgust after watching this video.
 
While I strongly believe that religious people, both the innocent and the hate-monger kinds, need education in rationality, I do not think this kind of insults and mocking of religions helps any cause in any way. It does not help educate or advance any kind of people in the world. It only alienates and antagonizes the followers of religions. It can make religious people stubbornly defensive against, and hostile to, not only people who committed the insulting, but also who are not followers of the religion in question.
 
Having said the above, I also think that the violent demonstrations against the video, especially targeting people who had nothing to do with the video, were wrong, and indicate a poor state of human development of the demonstrators. I am pleased that only a protest demonstration, with no violence, took place in Bangladesh due to this video.
 
Sukhamaya Bain







__._,_.___


****************************************************
Mukto Mona plans for a Grand Darwin Day Celebration: 
Call For Articles:

http://mukto-mona.com/wordpress/?p=68

http://mukto-mona.com/banga_blog/?p=585

****************************************************

VISIT MUKTO-MONA WEB-SITE : http://www.mukto-mona.com/

****************************************************

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it".
               -Beatrice Hall [pseudonym: S.G. Tallentyre], 190




Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___