Banner Advertiser

Monday, September 24, 2007

Re: [ALOCHONA] Re: Prothom -alo Cartoon and few words

I am glad that you had the opportunity to study Rushdie and Taslima's work. I must say that I still don't agree with you on the merit of their writing. The Satanic Verses is a book that analyzes two characters - the good and the "alleged" evil - switches their motivations, personalities, and morals in two life-altering incidents. It's a psychologist's dream come true, if you will. I reserve my comments about Taslima, although I think her writing has matured over the years. Then again, what do I know? I am just a reader, and definitely not in a position to say that her writing does not qualify to be even considered a literature.
 
Faith, albeit all it's glory and mysticism, is not a flimsy thing, Sir, that some words or images printed on a piece of paper would suddenly shake my relationship to god. Nor should "sentiment" be so fragile that people would threaten to kill someone if he/she chooses to express an opinion. When our faith and sentiment are dictated by radical mullahs, and we act like a herd of sheep, I for one choose not to blame anyone else for causing agony to my spiritual life.

 
On 9/22/07, nayabangla <nayabangla@yahoo.com> wrote:

I do not want to argue about my qualifications, or IQ. I have a Ph.D.
from Cambridge, where Rushdie had taught at one time, and naturally I
read his book quite thoroughly. It is also available on the web. I am
an agnostic, but would not like to hurt people's feelings by calling
their Prophet "Mahound" - the Devil, as Rushdie painstakingly explains
in his superb English in the book. Right here, beside my computer
table, I have four books by Taslima. She has no idea what literature
is. I bought them just to prove the point to my friends. They did not
need any convincing from me.

-- In alochona@yahoogroups.com, "Cyrus Zulkarnaïan Kazi"
<cyruskazi@...> wrote:
>> Nayabangla, I am tempted to say that you haven't read neither
Taslima
> Nasreen's work, nor Satanic Verses. If I could, I would give Salman
Rushdie
> a Pulitzer for writing Satanic Verses. The idiotic mass completely
misses
> the story of the Satanic Verses.
>




--
Cyrus Zulkarnaïan Kazi
(917) 770 - 4687 __._,_.___

[Disclaimer: ALOCHONA Management is not liable for information contained in this message. The author takes full responsibility.]
To unsubscribe/subscribe, send request to alochona-owner@egroups.com




Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___