Banner Advertiser

Saturday, June 14, 2008

[ALOCHONA] All is well with our bureaucracy

I happened to meet one of the top adviser – I just took a chance to put forward the recent problems faced by our fellow Bangaladeshis in Saudi Arabia.

 

With his permission I started, saying how only the Bangladeshi teen aged are barred from living in this country with an unwritten/undeclared rule. He just said when it is unwritten it is a problem to face it. However, I continued explaining and requested him if he could put up the matter with the authorities as any way he is going to meet them. The ambassador and the consul general were with him.

 

As the matter is well known, I could not figure out whether he was listening seriously or not. Before he said any think consul general started - I have already written to the authority and talking to the concerned authority.. I have been arguing with them- you have given the permission to operate A level classes so most of the students fall in the age category of 18. However, to my knowledge I do not know any one who has been sent back and this rule apply to all not only to Bangladeshis. I have asked people to make a list of those families etc. - and like wise he continued for a while non stop.

 

I said, sir, one of my colleague's son waiting for three months for the permission. - Oh no, mainly it is affecting only those who are not actually entitled for the family status but some how made it before. So they are only implementing that rule now. And they are catching not only our people but others as well. Yeh, that day they made a raid ….

 

Then the ambassador spoke – sir, you know that there was an website where all posting were made against Bangladeshis and that impacted on the Saudis greatly. With difficulties I traced the domain and its location. Written to the ministry of finance with all the details and the website was closed down (I read the man was arrested for a while, though the ambassador did not mention). We are trying hard and the situation is more improved now.

The authority is mainly after those who are not entitled or due to some other's nasty records. (he even sighted few bad examples in front of the adviser). He asked me to give him an example as he already asked people to come up with the cases. I sighted an example who's daughter had to leave. He asked his name and place of work. I complied with the name of the company. Oh no, it is a big company. I said, sir, he is a Chartered Accountant and working for around 20 years and his daughter left already. How would you handle individual case, rather you need to look into the matter as an issue (as he was insisting on giving him names of the people). He still continued - many girls are getting married ……, many boys are doing unlawful things etc. …we are working hard, next year there will be many people coming (he gave a number) and this is a temporary phenomena and so on.

When two of the highest officials presented the case to the adviser such a way I feared that advisor wouldn't even think of the matter and certainly went back home with an impression that things are in good hand and under control.

As we are walking together I said you need to increase the number of staff in your consulates and you have to improve on your PR. The ambassador looked at me and we proceeded to our own directions.

I happen to meet few secretaries. I have witnessed how the assistants keep mum when their boss speaks and how the assistants are shut up or interrupted while they are still talking.

The old adviser did not stop either of them but the way they spoke to their boss symbolises the culture of our bureaucracy.

 

While I am writing this I called a friend whose two daughters remain stuck here while their mid term university class has already started in Dhaka. Their brother is being asked to leave but desperate father still trying hard. (the girls are already living in Dhaka but if they loose their residency, they have to apply for visa each time they want to visit their parents). The great worry befallen onto my friend and his children, the ambassador and the consul general can not comprehend as all is well with them.


Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com __._,_.___

[Disclaimer: ALOCHONA Management is not liable for information contained in this message. The author takes full responsibility.]
To unsubscribe/subscribe, send request to alochona-owner@egroups.com




Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___