Banner Advertiser

Friday, October 19, 2007

[vinnomot] Pakistan: Beginning a new journey?

SAN-Feature Service
SOUTH ASIAN NEWS-FEATURE SERVICE
October 20,2007
 
Pakistan: Beginning a new journey?
—Benazir Bhutto
 
The forces of moderation and democracy must, and will, prevail against extremism and dictatorship. I will not be intimidated. Despite threats of death, I will not acquiesce to tyranny, but rather lead the fight against it
 
SAN-Feature Service : As I board the plane that takes me home to Pakistan today, I carry with me a manuscript of a book. It is a treatise on the reconciliation of the values of Islam and the West and a prescription for a moderate, modern Islam that marginalises extremists, returns the military from politics to their barracks, treats all citizens and especially women equally and selects its leaders by free and fair elections.
 
To me this is not just a book but a campaign manifesto, a guide to governing. If the people of Pakistan honour me again with an opportunity to lead, I intend to practise what I preach and to make Pakistan a positive model to one billion Muslims around the world for our future.
 
For 60 years my nation has lurched between dictatorships and democracy. Pakistan has been stifled by political oppression and economic stagnation. For almost a decade we have been ruled by a military dictatorship. For the past five years we have been challenged by an international terrorism movement that seems to have the tribal areas of Pakistan at its very epicentre. These are not ordinary times, and they require extraordinary solutions.
 
Over the past few months I have negotiated with General Pervez Musharraf to ensure a transition to democracy and to mobilise the moderate middle of our society to confront and contain fanatics and extremists. It has been difficult, made more so by the resistance of many who now enjoy power in Pakistan to accepting a democratic alternative. But the long discussions have borne some fruit.
 
In September General Musharraf promised to Pakistan's Supreme Court to retire from the post of Army Chief before taking the oath of office for President for a new term. This month the government of Pakistan announced confidence-building measures to pave the way for a legitimate, accountable Parliament. It is not a perfect agreement, but it is an important beginning, bringing reform and political change closer without the chaos and bloodshed under which extremism and militancy thrive.
 
The supporters of the Taliban and Al Qaeda have threatened my assassination. The Taliban leader Baitullah Mehsud has said that his terrorists will "welcome" me on my return. And the men behind Al Qaeda have tried to assassinate me twice before. The Pakistan People's Party and I represent everything they fear the most — moderation, democracy, equality for women, information and technology. We represent the future, a future that has no place in it for ignorance, intolerance and terrorism.
 
The forces of moderation and democracy must, and will, prevail against extremism and dictatorship. I will not be intimidated. I will step out on the tarmac in Karachi in a few hours not to complete a journey, but to begin one. Despite threats of death, I will not acquiesce to tyranny, but rather lead the fight against it.—SAN-Feature Service
 
Benazir Bhutto is twice former prime minister of Pakistan. This piece appeared in The Times of London Friday  to sync with her landing in Karachi after long eight years. Courtesy: Daily Times,Pakistan
 
 
 
 

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
http://mail.yahoo.com __._,_.___

Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___