Banner Advertiser

Sunday, November 4, 2007

[ALOCHONA] Re: I pledge to help Change Bangladesh not by changing my own status

Dear Alochok Robin

I thought it was clear but obviously I must have been writing gibbersih. Here is my best attempt yet: `The first step toward meaningful reform is the resignation or removal of Hasina and Khaleda.' You may stop reading here in order to be clear but my disclaimer is that what follows does not diminish this first point at all : )

What you see as angry language is the natural response to a uniquely
disgusting political culture that actually encourages and justifies
corrupt leaders to stay on. What should be shocking is that so little
offence is taken in the face of such corruption!

I never said that all problems will disappear if they are removed. I
am saying that if they stay all problems will stay. What are the many
other issues that you think are of more importance? Pray list the
issues that are helped by politics as exemplified by Hasina and
Khaleda.

I'm afraid that the lengthy dictatorships of Mujib's Baksal and Zia's
Army would not have turned Bangladesh into an Asian Tiger either. Nor
were these two fully eliminated – as you can plainly see.

Your characterization of me is simply the correct characterization of the our two democratically elected PMs: Hasina and Khaleda. Wow! I wish, oh how I wish, they would offend you as much as I offend you. But that could never happen – such is the condition of those who are very thoughtful and ever considerate and Bangladeshi too. That is the real magic on display.

I pray my words do sound like sweet nectar to those who are as
desperate for change as I am. Such desperation may be politically and
strategically incorrect, and may offend more delicate sensibilities,
but it is born of a rampant love for a nation sorely offended by
politicians. I wish I could do better and impress upon you more though I know I will fail. But may I never speak your own words that are far sweeter still to Hasina and Khaleda, offering them so kindly both comfort and encouragement.

In 3 or 4 decades there is the greatest possibility that sea levels
will rise a meter and engulf 15-20% of Bangladesh, hitting directly
30% of our rice production and 20 millions of our people. Please
glaze over the words as we glaze over our failures every day.

We don't have much time left to pander to our intellectual elites and political leadership. Either AL and BNP can change fast and lead us into the future. Or they can cling on to saris only to soon find the saris drape nothing but the corpse of corruption.

In the meantime let's all set high standards for the CTG and set no
standards for AL and BNP.

Oh God! We are a funny people!

Ezajur Rahman
Kuwait


[Disclaimer: ALOCHONA Management is not liable for information contained in this message. The author takes full responsibility.]
To unsubscribe/subscribe, send request to alochona-owner@egroups.com
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/alochona/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/alochona/join

(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:alochona-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:alochona-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
alochona-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/