Banner Advertiser

Tuesday, November 6, 2007

[vinnomot] An old essay by Jamal Hasan

Glimpses from my trip to the good old Dhaka
 
By Jamal Hasan
 
A sudden family urgency prompted me to visit Bangladesh, which became my
top priority. It was going to be my sojourn to our native land after
almost a decade. My frequent flier relatives warned me one thing about
the first encounter in Dhaka. They told me quite a few horror
stories. How some greedy officials of the airport and civil aviation
jump on the tired and unwise Bengali visitors like vultures on a robin's
nest or how the countless transportation agents fall onto their preys,
etc. etc. I was also told not to give my luggage to anyone unless I have
absolute confidence in that person. As the typical demand from the
over-enthusiastic helpers is for U.S. dollars, I was well advised to
carry as many single dollar bills. My preparedness for unforeseen
circumstances became futile. As I reached my final destination, things
did not come out as I apprehended.
 
After an exhaustive journey through the Middle East, my plane landed in
a sweaty summer-day in Dhaka. I realized the humidity is much more in
abundance than that of the tropical South Florida, which used to be my
place of residence for more than sixteen years. Now a bona fide
Marylander who is being accustomed to shoveling snow in the front yard,
my body is yet to readjust to fresh barrage of humidity. But I was
mentally prepared to embrace any kind of maladjustment of mundane
physical comfort.
 
My journey to my native land was primarily occurring at a time of
historical ethos. The leakage of Hamoodur Rahman Commission Report could
produce such a ripple effect was hard to fathom. After I arrived in
Dhaka, I found a few dailies were carrying excerpts from the report on a
daily basis. Twenty-nine years is a long period and a calculated policy
of erasing the memory of 1971was successfully conducted during much of
the two successive army generals' rule. And suddenly, the HRC report
comes in the forefront and things would never be the same! I thought my
trip to Dhaka was occurring at a time where an Ekattur activist may find
the ultimate Nirvana.
 
The colossal buildings and apparent affluence of certain segment of the
population gave me the awe. The well-decorated restaurants catering to
authentic oriental and South Asian cuisine could make a westerner
spellbound. The excessive glamorization of eateries may someone wonder
is the country one of the least developed countries in the world? As I
peeped through the 19th floor window of a multistoried BRAC (Bangladesh
Rural Advancement Committee) building, Dhaka's skyline reminded me of a
South Florida urban landscape. The concrete jungles are reminiscent of
any metropolis. But the road condition and traffic situation? I would
rather say we are destined to a black hole to comment rather mildly.
Going back to Ekattur matters. The invitation to join a seminar by the
esteemed editor of Ajker Kagoj, a Bengali daily was something I could
hardly reject. The seminar was a Round Table Conference on the Hamoodur
Rahman Commission Report. On a September day the meeting was scheduled
at five p.m.
 
The Meena House (where the Paper office is located), a multistoried
building is not too far from my Dhaka residence. The round table in the
meeting place could fit the literal meaning of the terminology. I
reached the place may be half an hour before the scheduled time. The
presence of wireless microphones was an indication that Bangladesh is
not far behind in present day technology of audio matters. I was
contended to see that most of the participants took their seats before
the bell struck five. Two BNP MPs, namely Col. (Ret'd) Oli Ahmed (Bir
Bikram) and Col. (Ret'd) Akbar Hossain, two former Muktijoddhas were the
star participants. The other Muktijoddha from across the aisle was Awami
League MP Major (Ret'd) Rafiqul Islam who happened to be a former Home
Minister. Three Dhaka University Professors, namely, Dr. Rafiqul Islam,
Dr. Shamsul Huda Haroon and Dr. Momtajuddin Ahmed represented the
liberal and secular wing of the complex and effervescent Bengali
intelligentsia. Also were present a veteran leftist political leader
Haider Akbar Khan Rano, Ambassador Waliur Rahman and the Minister for
Law and Parliamentary Affairs Abdul Matin Khosru. I realized, the
moderator of the session the newspaper editor Kazi Shahed Ahmed had
quite a big task to conduct.
 
I was totally impressed and definitely amazed watching the exchange of
comments between the minister and opposition MP's. It was an
extraordinary example of civility. I was thinking if Bangladesh politics
in every facet could be an arena of such civility, we would seldom be
termed as a nation of uncivilized political elements. While the
moderator appeared to have good rapport with most of the participants,
sometimes he had to face the hurdles of smoothing out the bitter and
often emotional outburst of seemingly divergent points of view. I found,
although, the common denominator of the participants' background to be
pro-liberation, there was definitely certain difference of angle. This
became more evident in the deliberation of BNP MP's presentations. In
his speech MP Col (Ret'd) Oli Ahmed made it a point that the present
lawlessness in the society gets precedence over the tragedy of 1971.
Similarly MP Col. (Ret'd) Akbar Hossain brought the now debated subject
of the exact casualty figure of 1971. He mentioned that the total figure
of the war casualty would not be more than few hundred thousand.
Interestingly Major (Ret'd) Rafiqul Islam became forthcoming in refuting
that argument. He brought a number of sample scenarios and gave some
statistical inferences that might be attributed to estimating a figure
close to three million. The difference in Ekattur philosophy gave me a
realization of the bottom line where the partisan politics had some
layers of influence. I assessed that there was evolving an unparalleled
linkage among the pro-Ekattur political personalities going beyond
partisan lines. This I felt a healthy sign in a nascent democracy.
Dr. Rafiqul Islam gave startling background information of Hamoodur
Rahman, the person. He made the case that the one time Chief Justice of
Pakistan could be anything but a friend of Bengali cause. Dr. Shamsul
Huda Haroon provided a vivid conjecture of the menace of parochial
politics in Bangladesh history. While exchanging divergent opinions, the
often usage of "apology" gave an ideal parliamentarian setting. In this
respect, Ambassador Waliur Rahman should be given due credit. Most
interesting thing to observe was the presence of Stanley Wolpert's
autobiography of Z.A. Bhutto in the Parliamentary Affairs Minister's
hand. He was quoting from the book a few times. And interestingly Zulfi
story became very relevant with the discourse.
 
An acting minister on my left side and an opposition member of
parliament on my right, I was having the ultimate surreal experience. My
dream of seeing all the Bengali pro-Ekattur activists beyond party lines
might come true was becoming true. From far away through the Internet we
may gather the stereotypical view that all the Bangladeshi politicians
are on each other's throat, the Round Table Conference did not give me
that idea. Rather, I had every element to be positive about future. I
became more than a bit of optimistic that the figments of unresolved
issues of 1971 may get a chance to be resolved.
 
When the microphone came to me, I gave a rather dismal picture of
expatriate Bengalis in USA. I mentioned about the noble activism of
Armenians worldwide who even lobbied US Congress during Soviet era to
launch a Congressional hearing on Armenian genocide converting the then
Senator Bob Dole as a great champion of Armenian cause. Interestingly, at
the Ajker Kagoj meeting I did not have any clue that Armenian genocide
issue could once again hit the consciousness of American psyche and open
a Pandora's box in American politics today. Just a few days ago,
Washington Post carried big headlines about the ultimatum from the
powerful Turkish lobby to halt any more condemnation of Ottoman Turkish
genocidal act occurred eighty years ago. Pakistan strategically, in US
view, falls far behind Turkey. Yet, the expatriate Bengalis failed
miserably to create any uproar in Capitol Hill opening the old wound of
1971. May be that is why Pakistani Chief Executive's spokesperson Javed
Jabbar or Abdus Sattar show the audacity to forget the past. What a
cruel joke!
 
My short trip to Bangladesh gave me high hope of fulfilling the
political obligation of the nation where our roots belong. I think the
current dynamic should lead us to the ultimate destination of resolving
the unresolved issues of Bangladesh genocide of 1971. The timely
disclosure of Hamoodur Rahman Commission Report gave a new jolt in the
moribund politics of 1971 activism. I felt there was a resurgence of
Spirit of Liberation in Bangladesh. That was the biggest hope I gathered
during my short trip to Dhaka.
 
The essay was originally published in News from Bangladesh in the Feature section on October 11, 2000.

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
http://mail.yahoo.com __._,_.___

Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___