Banner Advertiser

Sunday, January 13, 2008

[ALOCHONA] Re: [Dahuk]: Response to Farida Majid's Write-Ups on Shah Mohammad Hannan


 

Mr. Jahangir,

 

Are you sure about the authenticity & genuineness of your stated story related to Mr. SAH?

 

Anu
NZ
 
 

 
On 1/14/08, A.S.M. Jahangir <asmjahangir@yahoo.com > wrote:

Ms. Farida Majid,

The major problem with we Bangladeshis is that neither
can we critique in a civil way nor can we take it in
stride. I always smack some kind of arrogance in our
criticism. One doing it generally sounds like the most
knowledgeable soul on the face of the earth. On the
contrary, the people on the receiving end are treated
as most frivolous living on this globe.

It becomes all the more exasperating when people
choose wayward, unprintable language to vent their
venom. Instead of giving it the shape of a debate,
it's turned into a bull fight with personal attacks.
The intent is to hurt, not to heal - is to divide, not
to unite.

Ms. Majid, it indeed hurts me to find that you are no
exception. Perhaps you will say neither am I. I will
not contest if you do. However, it indeed hurts me
when you accuse Mr. Shah Abdul Hannan, a respectable
former bureaucrat, of crimes he never committed. You
never present any facts or figures in favor of your
allegations since there is perhaps none. When someone
puts up something in support of Mr. Hannan, you attack
him nakedly for his inability to comprehend your
American English.

Well, I had a short encounter with Mr. Hannan back in
late 1982 (or early 1983?) when he was the Chairman of
NBR. I shipped a refrigerator from Singapore and as it
arrived I was having all sorts of problems in getting
it cleared through the Airport Customs Authority. To
make a long story short, after running the papers
through everyone at airport, they sent me to NBR
headquarters for the Chairman's signature.

As I entered his office, he was already off from his
chair to prepare for his midday prayer. I approached
him and said, "sir, I am sorry to bother you at this
time, but I had to come from the airport for your
signature on this paper to get my refrigerator
released". He signed it immediately and said in
response, "why should you be sorry, rather we should
be ashamed of our policy that makes you come here all
the way from the airport just for a signature." The
response indeed surprised me since it was unexpected
of a Bangladesh bureaucrat, most of whom are arrogant
and indifferent. His humility impressed me. I still
carefully preserve this rare experience in my memory.

I have little interest in party politics. But when I
talk about politics I do my best to restrict the
discussion on issues without attacking any political
party, much less any individual. Mr. Hannan and you
could be proponents of different political
philosophies, but there are ways of expressing them in
a civil way.

Ms. Majid, take no offense, I was forced to write this
note since Mr. Hannan is a good human being so far as
my knowledge goes. It therefore hurts me when someone
tries to demean or denigrate a respectable person like
him. One has every right to contest his political
views, but not in the way you are doing it. It's
rather belittling for the person who does it this way.

ASM Jahangir

__________________________________________________________
Be a better friend, newshound, and
know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now. http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ




__._,_.___

[Disclaimer: ALOCHONA Management is not liable for information contained in this message. The author takes full responsibility.]
To unsubscribe/subscribe, send request to alochona-owner@egroups.com




Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___